3 x 15mins sessions in one morning
Designed for those looking to take up waterskiing or wakeboarding, the Taster Course offers beginners a first-time skiing experience in a safe and supportive environment, ensuring you are given the instruction, guidance and encouragement you need to get started.
Suitable for all ages, including children (from 4 years old), you are first introduced to water safety, body position and basic techniques on dry land. Once you are confident that you have grasped the basics, your coach will take you out on to the water using a static boom, which not only provides stability, but also allows you to remain in close contact with your instructor. Once you have mastered getting up out of the water, the basic skiing position and technique, you will progress on to the long line to ski behind the boat.
The Taster Course gives you the opportunity to really get a feel for the sport and with 3x15mins sessions in one morning you will definitely see progress and start to feel at home on the water.
Ski Boat Driver's Award
Ellingham Waterski & Wakeboard Club is a British Waterski Federation (BWSF) approved test centre and Jamie Bloemsma is an approved examiner.
The Ski Boat Driver's Award (SBDA) is a certificate of competence awarded by the BWSF. It is also approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and recognised as the standard of boat driving skills at waterski clubs throughout the UK. It is not a professional qualification, but proof of your boat handling experience and skills.
Requirements for taking the SBDA test
You are required to:
- be a valid member of the British Water Ski Federation*
- be over the age of 16 at the time of taking the test
- have a reasonable level of boat driving**
- have read and be familiar with the content of the SBDA manual***
* If you are not a member of the BWSF don’t worry, you can join on the day you take your SBDA.
** If you feel you have not got the appropriate boat driving experience we can also offer a 2-day beginner course which will cover additional boat handling or towing tuition and include both SBDA and ICC test papers.
*** The manual contains all the information required for the written test and includes a comprehensive full colour guide to flags and other signage. It’s available as a FREE download on the BWSF website www.britishwaterski.org.uk
Taking 2-3 hours in total, the SBDA comprises of three sections:
- 1. Classroom tuition, DVD instruction and question and answers (approx. 2 hours)
- 2. SBDA Practical Test (approx. 15mins)
- 3. SBDA Written Test (approx. 30mins)
Practical Test - (approx. 15mins)
- Demonstration of basic boat handling skills and simple manoeuvres
- Safely towing, dropping in and collecting a skier
SBDA Written Test - Coastal Waters (approx. 30mins)
- Complete a multiple choice paper of 22 questions
- To pass – correctly answer a minimum of 18 questions
LinksBritish water ski
Race New Forset